It’s going to be historic… Apply for the Inaugural Goleta Historic Preservation Commission
Press Releases are displayed on Independent.com as free community service.
GOLETA, Calif., August 3, 2022 – The Town of Goleta is thrilled to announce that it is seeking candidates for the town’s newest Historic Preservation Commission. This is an important next step in implementing the Historic Preservation and Cultural Resources Ordinance enacted by City Council in April 2022.
The Historic Preservation Ordinance aims to preserve and protect resources that, once lost, cannot be replaced or reproduced. The Commission’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Make recommendations to City Council regarding the designation of eligible properties as Historic Landmarks, Historic Districts and Points of Historic Interest under City and Mills Act applications.
- Make recommendations to City Council regarding the cancellation or modification of a historic designation.
- Review and make recommendations to the Design Review Committee on projects involving modifications to historic resources.
- Review historic resource surveys and make recommendations to City Council on periodic updates to the City’s Historic Resource Inventory.
- Provide recommendations on any proposed design guidelines that may be developed by the City for project review or consideration of appropriate alterations or new construction in historic districts.
- Act as an advisory board to City Council, Planning Commission, Design Review Committee, City Manager and all City departments on all matters related to historic preservation.
The Commission will be composed of five members appointed by the Mayor. Members of the first appointed Historic Preservation Commission will expire in varying years (June 2024, 2025 and 2026). After that, terms will be four years, with no limit on the number of terms to which members may be appointed. The majority of members must be residents of the City. Meetings are tentatively scheduled for 3rd Monday of every other month, subject to the calendar calendar.
The City is looking for professional and non-professional members who have demonstrated an interest, skill or knowledge in historic preservation. Commission members may be appointed from the following disciplines: architecture, history, architectural history, planning, archeology or other related disciplines, such as American studies, landscape architecture, cultural geography or anthropology cultural, insofar as these professionals are available. in the community. Members of the Commission may also include lay members who have demonstrated a particular interest/expertise, skill, experience or knowledge of the history and historic preservation of Goleta, and/or who are members of a or more local Chumash tribal groups.
Don’t miss this historic opportunity! Apply for the city’s first Historic Preservation Commission in www.CityofGoleta.org/BoardsCommissions. Applications must be sent before September 9, 2022 at 5:00 p.m. For any questions, contact [email protected]