Morris County Approves 30 Historic Preservation Grants – Morris County, NJ

Posted on July 13, 2022

Five first-time projects included among $2.65 million in awards

The Morris County Board of Commissioners approved $2.65 million in grants County Preservation Trust Fund to help restore, preserve and further protect the county’s historic sites, including five projects that have applied for funding for the first time.

The 30 grants will go to 29 specific historical sites, one of which – the Seward House at Mount Olive – has been approved for two grants: one for the partial restoration of the exterior of the historic 1860s farmhouse and another to complete construction planning for the interior works. All projects were recommended by the Morris County Historic Preservation Trust Fund Review Board last month, with about 83% of funding going to construction work involving 15 projects.

The remaining 17% will go to 15 non-construction projects, including preservation planning, pre-construction planning and design work.

Morris County has now awarded 512 grants worth $45,945,925 to help preserve, protect and restore 122 historic properties since 2003, when grants were first awarded for the protection of historic sites through the Morris County Preservation Trust Fund. Sites are located in 34 towns around Morris County.

“Morris County has now approved nearly $46 million from our Preservation Trust Fund to restore and preserve 122 historic sites in the 20 years since voters overwhelmingly approved dedicating a fund to protecting our American heritage. Our Preservation Trust Fund Review Board and our Office of Planning and Preservation have been instrumental in helping us select the projects most worthy of support and ensuring that this important preservation effort continues. We thank them for their crucial work,” said Commissioner Director Tayfun Selen.

See the full list of projects reviewed this year by the review board

2022_Civil War Memorial_Boonton_04_4000px.JPG

The five new projects approved for funding include:

The Boonton Civil War Memorial in the town of Boonton

  • Non-construction grant of $4,950
  • The monument was erected in 1876 to honor local citizens who volunteered to fight for the Union during the Civil War. Known as the Soldier’s Monument, the granite obelisk with four brass cannons on the base of the monument is certified eligible as a contributor to the Boonton Main Street Historic District.
  • The grant will provide an assessment of the terms, including recommendations and cost estimates.

House of Dr. John Taylor in the town of Boonton2022_House of Dr. John Taylor_Boonton_02_4000px.JPG

  • Non-construction grant of $24,000
  • The c. 1897-1898 Taylor House is built as a private residence and medical office. In 1921, the building was purchased by the City of Boonton and became the City Hall and American Legion Post. It is currently used as the town museum and the headquarters of the Boonton Historical Society. The house contributes to the Boonton Main Street Historic District.
  • The grant will support the realization of a preservation plan

Samuel Tuttle House in Hanover Township2022_Samuel Tuttle House_Whippany_05_1200px.JPG

  • Non-construction grant of $36,000
  • The Samuel Tuttle House circa 1796 was built in the Federal style by one of Whippany’s early founding families and was occupied by four generations of the Tuttle family. The house is individually listed on the historical registers.
  • The grant will assist in the completion of construction documents related to exterior repairs, including building structure and clapboard siding, restoration and interior finish repairs.

The Lindenwold Mansion (Peck School Building) in Morristown2022_Peck_School_Lindenwold_Morristown_04_1200px.JPG

  • Non-construction grant for $47,568
  • The former 1886 High Victorian residence is currently owned and occupied by the Peck School. Built in 1886 by William B. Skidmore/Julia Cobb, the West Wing was designed by John Claflin in 1905. The building is used for administrative offices. Lindenwold Mansion contributes to the Historic District of the Morristown Multiple Resource Area.
  • The grant will support the realization of a preservation plan.

Mountain Lakes Station in Mountain Lakes2022_Mountain lakes resort_01_1200px.JPG

  • Non-construction grant of $24,000
  • The 1912 Mt. Lakes station served the DL&W Railroad. The stone and concrete station features a standard plan adopted by DL&W, with layout modifications due to the slope of the existing site. An active railroad station until the mid-20th century, it was purchased by the Borough of Mt. Lakes and currently houses a restaurant.
  • The grant will support the realization of a preservation plan.

Photo:

Top right: The Willows at Fosterfields is a neo-Gothic residence in Morris Township built in 1854 as part of a larger farm. The site is operated as a historic site and house-museum. He is listed individually on the National and New Jersey registries. Morris County Commissioners have approved a $33,056 grant included in the package passed tonight to assist in the completion of construction documents related to exterior repairs including siding, masonry, windows, shutters, chimney painting and repairs.

Comments are closed.