Northeast News | Historic Preservation Council to Consider Local Nominations for National Register
The Missouri Advisory Council on Historic Preservation will consider nominations for the National Register of Historic Places at its meeting at 10 a.m. on Friday, July 9. Four Kansas City historic landmarks have the opportunity to be recognized.
The board will review the Rector’s House at 2008 E. 12th St., home of Sarah Rector, Kansas City’s first African-American woman millionaire.
The Rector’s House, located at the northeast corner of East 12th and Euclid Streets, is a two-and-a-half-storey American Foursquare house, built in 1900. It occupies a corner lot in Pioneer Place Addition in Kansas City. The house is clad in buff brick and has a full raised basement; a stone belt course encircles the building at ground level. The moderately pitched hipped roof has four hipped dormers.
The house has two brick porches; a one-story open porch with a shallow hipped roof on the south elevation at the main entrance, and an enclosed one-story (historically open) porch on the west elevation. A second floor veranda above the west porch is closed. Modest details in Italian Revival style, such as wide eaves, ornate brackets, and tiled roof ridges and finials, characterize the exterior of the house. Historically located in an area containing single-family homes and small apartments, today a mix of mid-century multi-family housing and light commercial development surrounds the property.
While the neighborhood landscape has changed over the years, the house looks a lot like it was during its significant period (1920-1971), when the rector occupied the house and subsequently two Afro-morgues. America, Adkins Brothers Funeral Home and CK Kerford Funeral Home. Homepage.
The Mason building at 1110 Grand Blvd. was also nominated. The six-story commercial building houses two storefronts on the first floor and flexible open office / retail / manufacturing space on the upper floors. It was completed as a speculative four-story office / commercial building in 1905.
Two more stories were added in 1921; the addition continued the existing copper and terracotta facade, resulting in a building that does not “read” as having been altered. Indeed, the question arises as to whether the “addition” was in fact the late realization of the original design. The main facade of the curtain wall clad with custom copper sheet is the important feature of the design.
Above storefront level are five storeys, each subdivided into three bays. Each bay contains a ribbon of three windows with associated transoms separated by various arrangements of copper spandrel panels and copper-clad mullions. The modernist copper facade is dominated by horizontal and vertical lines, which define the windows and express the internal structure, in a classically inspired terracotta frame. The building is capped with a dentil cornice in terracotta. The side walls are not visible because they are adjacent to other buildings. The rear of the building has a loading dock and a door to the first floor and an emergency staircase. The rear window bays have been partially blinded with bricks and glass blocks up to the fourth floor, after which they retain a historic multi-light sash.
The Firestone Tire and Rubber Company gas station at 1112 E. Linwood was nominated, built in 1930. Due to its location at the northeast corner of Linwood Boulevard and Troost Avenue, the gas station Art Deco has two public facades, with the south-facing elevation being the most prominent. The L-shaped building footprint follows the historic functions of the service center.
At the northeastern end, a three-storey rectangular mass housed a parking garage and an automobile store. The concrete structure has an access ramp from the basement to the roof; red brick fills the exposed concrete grid on the east, north and west elevations.
The service station function encompassed the entire southern part of the building along Linwood in a two-story open-air volume sheltered by a prominent flat-roofed canopy; architect Charles A. Smith called this area the “Concours.” A two-story mass in the northwest corner of the Concourse housed offices and an exhibition hall. The glass roof is a characteristic element of this building both for its functional design and its Art Deco ornamentation.
Polychrome bricks and decorative carved stones adorn the three sides of the parapet; cast stone shields with stylized Firestone “F” accent the north and east corners of the canopy. The building retains its historic integrity as a significant example of the one-stop service workshop developed in the late 1920s and early 1930s that attracted motorists with its comprehensive vehicle design and services.
Sanford B. Ladd School at 3640 Benton Blvd. will be considered. The school is a public elementary school building constructed in three phases, 1912, 1922, and completed in 1990. The building anchors the southern half of a property that occupies two-thirds of a city block in central Kansas City, surrounded by a contemporary residential development. . The building is two storeys with a raised basement; the concrete foundation supports the concrete structure, the brick walls and the flat roof. The two main construction episodes give the building an L-shaped plan, augmented by two small wings that jut out from the north elevation.
The periods of construction combined produced a school building that incorporates all of the functions and design features of an early twentieth century / progressive era elementary school property type, as defined in the Multiple Ownership Documentation Form ( MPDF) âHistoric Resources of the Kansas City Missouri School District Prior to 1970. The unifying features of the two building campaigns include the red brick walls with brown bricks and cream-colored terracotta ornaments that communicate the five-part shape of the building. building, as well as details of the Neo-Jacobethain style, such as shaped parapets, contrasting masonry, capitals and bases of pilasters, keystones and pendants.
The exterior fittings are limited to the replacement of windows and doors. Inside, wide, double-loaded corridors cross the building to access the classrooms, auditorium, gymnasium and offices. Wide stairwells at each end of the building run vertically through the three floors. Classrooms have high ceilings with large window openings that line at least one wall and transoms above the doors to facilitate air circulation. The layout of the classroom, along with the reinforced concrete structure, brick walls, and purpose-built auditorium and gymnasium, are critical in identifying this school as a type of elementary school property in the progressive era, as described in the MPDF. These characteristic features have been designed to promote safety and hygiene, as well as the Progressive Era approach to education by doing using spaces dedicated to specialized subjects.
The Missouri Advisory Council on Historic Preservation is a group of historians, architects, archaeologists, and citizens interested in historic preservation. The board is appointed by the governor and works with the State Historic Preservation Office of the Department of Natural Resources, which administers the Missouri National Register of Historic Places program.
The council meets periodically to review the nominations of Missouri properties to the National Register, the honor roll of the nation’s historic properties. Approved nominations are forwarded to the National Registry Custodian in Washington, DC for final approval.