NYS Board of Historic Preservation names new historic sites
ALBANY, NY (WSYR) – Four sites in the Capital Region have been recommended by the New York State Board of Historic Preservation as properties to be added to the State and National Records of Historic Places.
“The appointments reflect the state’s commitment to supporting the incredible and sometimes unrecognized history forged by the diverse residents of New York City,” said Erik Kulleseid, commissioner of the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. âEnsuring recognition of these places will help protect and preserve this history so that it can be transported safely and intact into the future. “
Listing with state and national registers can help homeowners revitalize their properties, making them eligible for various public preservation programs and services, such as matching state grants and historic rehabilitation tax credits. state and federal government.
Consult the list of local nominees:
- New Lebanon District School # 8, Columbia County: Built in 1870, this brick building in this rural hamlet served as a school and later as a Grange Hall for the area’s farming community. The building is now used as a restaurant / brasserie and an apartment.
- Church Hill Historic District, Saratoga County: Located in the hamlet of Crescent, the district reflects the heyday of the Erie Canal and includes 13 predominantly residential structures dating back to the 19th century. Located on the north bank of the Mohawk River, the district includes a remaining section of the Halfmoon Aqueduct, which once carried the Erie Canal through the Mohawk. During this period, the hamlet was a channel shipping point for ice, grain, hay, and cast sand produced in southern Saratoga County.
- Fitzgerald Building, Schenectady County: Built in 1913 as a business school, the three-story brick building exemplifies the American commercial style and was constructed with a metal “cage construction” used in skyscraper technology . It was once home to the Fitzgerald Business College, which trained office workers for General Electric and other neighboring companies, then Ter Bush and Powell, a pioneer of national insurance, who remained there until 1981. In 2018, he has been rehabilitated into apartments and shops. space with federal tax credits for historic preservation.
- Park Mart, Albany County: Located in downtown Albany, this concrete parking garage and grocery store, completed in 1973, represents an early use of post-tensioned concrete, a method of construction where cables d Steel, or “tendons,” are threaded through concrete as it is poured and then tensioned with jacks. Promoted by longtime former Albany mayor Erastus Corning 2nd as part of efforts to revitalize the city core, the parking and grocery store structure has been associated with Albany’s urban renewal programs . It is also an important example of the work of local architect Robert Louis Trudeau.
State and National Registers are the official lists of buildings, structures, neighborhoods, landscapes, objects, and sites important to the history, architecture, archeology, and culture of New State. York and the nation. There are over 120,000 historic properties statewide listed on the National Register of Historic Places, either individually or as components of historic districts.