Philadelphia institutions receive grants for historic preservation
A dozen historic institutions in Philadelphia recently received grants from the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. The Keystone Historic Preservation (KHP) Grants Program is used to fund the preservation, rehabilitation and restoration activities of historic sites that are eligible or listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Fifty-four historic Commonwealth institutions received these funds, 11 of which reside within the city limits of Philadelphia. Grant applications ranged from $ 5,000 to $ 25,000 for planning projects and $ 5,000 to $ 100,000 for construction projects; but each applicant was required to provide a 50% cash consideration to prove the sponsor’s commitment.
Overall, approximately $ 436,000 has been awarded to historic institutions in Philadelphia. Only two groups received the maximum allocation of $ 100,000: the John Bartram Association (aka Bartram’s Garden) and the Third, Scots and Mariners Presbyterian Church.
At Bartram’s Garden, grant funds will be used for crucial repairs to the oldest barn in the county, built in 1775, and the adjacent stable, built in 1743. Roofs and masonry in both are to be maintained after centuries of wear and tear. Likewise, the Third, Scots and Mariners Presbyterian Church on Pine Street in Society Hill predates the American Revolution and will be used to repair the exterior of Old Pine Street Church.
The 11 historic monuments will use these funds to build or restore part of their infrastructure in one way or another, just as sites reopen after COVID.
âWe have been forced to shut down for much of 2020 due to the pandemic,â said Jeff Duncan of the Naomi Woods Trust. The Naomi Woods Trust received $ 55,788 to support the restoration of two rooms that once housed enslaved Africans in the Woodford Mansion, located in Fairmount Park.
âWhat this grant will help us do is better tell the story of the slaves who lived and worked at Woodford Mansion, a story we all look forward to being able to tell to the public because it is part of the story of Woodford. just as slavery is part of American history, âDuncan said.
The Woodford Mansion focuses on the experiences of the slaves who lived and worked there, rather than focusing on “the lives of the wealthy families who built or owned Woodford”.
The funds needed to carry out routine maintenance projects may not be entirely salacious, but they are essential for historic monuments to remain relevant. The Stenton Mansion in Germantown received $ 42,000 + to restore 10 sash windows and paint the exterior, renovations that will allow future generations to see the home of James Logan, William Penn’s secretary.
Grumblethorpe in Germantown has fought to exist since 1930 and has been a driving force in the movement to preserve local monuments. Through the Philadelphia Society for the Preservation of Landmarks, Grumblethorpe received $ 18,675 âto replace the roofs of the museum and the tenants’ houseâ built in 1742.
Of 92 applicants to the Keystone Historic Preservation (KHP) grant program, 54 received funding. In total, more than $ 2,300,000 was distributed to preserve historic monuments across the Commonwealth.
Philadelphia Grant Recipients
National Trust Cliveden – $ 24,923
Cranaleith Spiritual Center – $ 11,344
Glen Foerd Conservation Corp. – $ 14,266
History RittenhouseTown Inc. – $ 32,674
John Bartram Association (aka Bartram’s Garden) – $ 100,000
Naomi Wood Trust – $ 55,788
Philadelphia Society for the Preservation of Monuments – $ 18,675
The National Society of Colonial Dames of America in Pennsylvania – $ 42,315
Third, Scots and Mariners Presbyterian Church – $ 100,000
Trinity Episcopal Memorial Church – $ 11,890
Wagner Free Institute of Sciences – $ 25,000