Rumson Historic Preservation Commission Recognizes Marrus Family –
March 22, 2022
The Rumson Historic Preservation Commission recognizes the Marrus family
The Rumson Historic Preservation Commission, led by Chairman Charles F. Shay, proudly awarded Jennifer and Andrew Marrus the 2021 Historic Preservation Award for the restoration and rehabilitation of their home, the historic Schiff Carriage House located at 59 Buena Vista Ave.
The Schiff Carriage House was designed and built under architect E. Harris James in 1893. The French Norman-style house was originally a stable and carriage house at the Jacob Schiff estate, before being converted into a home housing in the 1950s.
Shortly after purchasing the home in 2018, the Marrus family began their thoughtful and painstaking renovations, determined to preserve the integrity and history of the home.
The clock tower and courtyard, with original stonework, are centered between the north and south buildings of the property. The north building was a former stable with staff quarters, while the south building was the original Schiff Carriage House.
The Marrus family invited members of the Historic Preservation Commission to view and document the restoration and rehabilitation efforts. The stable and apartments in the north building have been completely renovated, while the south building and workroom have been restored to become the main house and garage. Additionally, the Marrus family has also restored the courtyard entrance gate, the clock tower and the tower clock, while retaining the original stones of the courtyard. These efforts included restoring and rewiring all of the original exterior lights, which include two lamp posts that were originally located on Rumson Road.
“Rumson is fortunate to have a family owning historic property in the borough and restoring it with historically accurate detail,” Shay said. “Jennifer and Andrew Marrus have done an inspired job restoring the historic Schiff Carriage House to its original architectural style.”
Jennifer Marrus added, “We were fortunate to have this opportunity to help preserve this magnificent building which is part of Rumson’s rich history and one of the city’s many landmarks.
The Rumson Historic Preservation Commission was established to identify and assist in the preservation of many significant properties, homes, landmarks, and sites in the borough. Its purpose is to be a valuable resource for owners of historic homes and properties, to act in an advisory capacity to landowners going through the development application process, to educate the public, to advise Rumson Borough Council and the Rumson Planning and Zoning Boards, and to recognize community members who embody the spirit of historic preservation.
More recently, the commission set out to identify the oldest existing structure in Rumson and found Bingham Hall, a very popular site for official Rumson Borough and community events, was built in 1842. The commission erected a plaque at the site, inscribed with a brief history of the 180-year-old building.
The commission also maintains a website and inventory of properties over 100 years old, which allows users to locate and learn the history of properties using block/lot numbers or civic address. .