Senator DeCoite releases resources for Maui residents facing deer impacts

November 28, 2021, 8:47 a.m. HST

PC: Hawai’i DLNR

In collaboration with state and county agencies, Senator Lynn DeCoite (District 7 – Hāna, East and Upcountry Maui, Moloka’i, Lāna’i and Kaho’olawe) strives to provide the public with information and Resources on who to contact for axis deer issues.

See below for questions relating to:

Live deer injured – Deer which have been injured, for example by collisions with vehicles, and which are still alive, pose a threat to public safety. If you encounter a live injured deer, stay away from the animal. Call immediately:

  • During regular business hours, Monday through Friday, 7:45 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., call the Maui branch of the Forestry and Wildlife Division at 808-984-8100
  • After hours and on weekends, call the Conservation and Resource Enforcement Division at 808-873-3990 or the Maui Police Department at 808-244-6400. DOFAW will immediately dispatch a qualified specialist to secure and safely capture the animal.

Dead deerThe proper disposal of dead deer and carcasses is the responsibility of the landowner. Carcasses must be buried or removed. If burial or removal is not possible, carcasses can be covered with lime, available at local garden centers and hardware stores. If a deer carcass needs to be disposed of, contact:

  • Private lands: Contact the owner.
  • Government Property: Contact the responsible government agency that manages the property in question.
  • National Highways: Contact the Department of Transportation, Highways Division at 808-270-7466.
  • County Roads: Contact the Department of Public Works at 808-270-7869.

Pest deer – The deer is a wild animal which is both a resource and a potential pest. For problems with deer on:

  • Private Land: Landowners are responsible for any deer found on their land. State wildlife laws do not limit the seasons, days, or number of deer that may be harvested on private land when in compliance with applicable hunting regulations and state gun laws. fire. In cases where harvest is not possible, property owners may wish to employ professional wildlife control contractors or fence their property to keep deer out.
  • Government land: The management agency is responsible for deer on government land. Government land managers who need assistance can contact DOFAW for technical assistance or interagency advice.

“I would like to thank the Governor again for his support in granting my request to issue an Emergency Proclamation to help Maui County deal with the drought and its effects on the deer population,” said the Senator DeCoite. “I hope these resources and information will be of benefit to the public as we continue to work to find a more permanent solution in the future.”

Senator Lynn DeCoite

Comments are closed.